Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quick Bite!

Okay, so I have a problem with feeding myself....it's not that I don't like to eat. I do (that's a different problem I have). The biggest vice I have to eating healthy is that most days I'm so busy feeding everyone else around me that I leave me for last. By that time, I'm so dang hungry or desperate for a quick bite that I eat whatever is closest at hand which can be anything from Christian's half eaten sandwhich, to tortillia chips in the pantry, or yes, I have to admit the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the bag stashed out of Christian's reach.

I really do have every intention to eat something healthy and have a great breakfast in the mornings but by mid-day my resolve needs a little bit more shove.

Today I came home famished after taking the kids to the park and then on an errand. I had fed them at the park but to be honest pb&j is the thing I eat if I want to gain weight so I waited until I got home. Both kids went down for naps and I felt almost dizzy with hunger (I wonder if this happens to anyone else or if I just have a blood sugar problem). Anyway, I opened the fridge and was debating on eating totillia chips that were out or pb&j. Then I realized that in my fridge, smiling up at me was a bag of pre-washed ready to eat spinach. I grabbed a bowl and poured in a little spinach, pre-cooked bacon, feta, and some chickpeas. Ta da. A healthy lunch that was faster than any pb&j!

Lesson learned: keep your produce close to eye level in fridge!

----------
Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have the same problems too. Learning to have food around for me too has been hard but oh so necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a slight case of hypoglycemia and I get dizzy and get the shakes when I'm really hungry. You may have something similar to that. But good for you for eating something healthy. The chocolate chips would have been the first thing I went for haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally have the same problem! And I agree, when my produce is in sight I remember to eat it. Whoever invented the opaque crisper drawers in my fridge is not my friend.
    But yeah, I know exactly how it is trying to feed everyone else and I pretty much ALWAYS leave me for last. (Ending up dizzy in the process.)
    The thing I feel bad about though is that it's often actually for selfish reasons because I'll be wanting to eat something and there really is only enough for one person, so I'll be afraid to get it out because my fear is that if Lilly sees me eating it she'll suddenly want what I have and no longer wish for the PBJ. So, I'll wait and wait and then forget that I was going to eat once she's distracted.
    However, recently I've decided I should let myself be a little selfish now and then and also, I've discovered it can be a good way to get Lilly to finish what she's started because if she starts asking for my food and only half of hers is eaten I say, "Finish your sandwich first," and then by the time she's done she's usually either full or has forgotten about my food, and on the rare case that she's still interested I'll give her ONE bite.

    ReplyDelete