Friday, December 31, 2010

At the Beginning of a New Year…

So I haven’t written in quite some time.  I was doing so well with my workouts and had reached the 3/4 point when we moved to a new house.  It’s interesting that once we moved I went down 2 more sizes though I only lost 5 lbs. and I wasn’t “working-out” formally.

When we first moved into the house, because of extra repairs that had to be made, we were short the money that we were planning on using  to have the house re-painted and re-carpeted.  So I started saving the blue envelopes that come in the mail to get the carpets all cleaned.  When I figured out that the price of having the carpets done professionally would be the same cost as buying my own steam cleaner, I thought “why not get a steam cleaner?  I have two hands.  Then I’ll always have it.”  So crazy little me, I bought a steam cleaner the day we closed on the house and the next day with my baby in one arm, cleaned 1,200 feet of carpet.  Luckily, I changed arms once in a while so that one of them didn’t fall off.  It was while I was cleaning the carpets that I realized something: whoever the last occupant of the house was, sure didn’t clean (maybe never) and didn’t have any reservations about putting pin holes in the walls.

So, for the past two months,  I have been worrying about spackling and painting walls, vacuuming carpets and mopping 1,400 feet of tile.  I am far from finished but I have the worse rooms in much better shape.

Now I’m wishing that I had paid better attention to my body and my diet.  Yes, I’ve lost a little weight and a couple of sizes, but I feel guilty about letting my goal slide.  I’ve been debating just picking up where I left off and give myself an extension or starting over.

I think I will give myself an extension, but I think I also should just pat myself on the back and just be proud of myself for keeping at something—even with a hiatus.  It’s not like I haven’t been working anyway!  We all need a little forgiveness now and then so I’m going to start out the New Year with not a “Do-Over” but with some forgiveness and a “I Can Do It” attitude.

Besides, exercise is a goal that should be on-going, not a, “You blew it and now you have to start all over again!” kind of a thing.  It’s a gradual lifestyle change that can change you from the inside out. 

I’m still going to keep up my home improvements  this year, but I’m going to try just a little harder to work on my self improvements as well.

1 comment:

  1. The kind of housework you've been doing IS a good workout! And you have five pounds and two dress sizes to prove it! I wish I could get motivated to work out in that way, but I can't. :)

    ReplyDelete